Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mean Reds...

    I had promised to blog about the semester, which hasn't happened, but since the semester is only two weeks in I think this is not so bad. Maybe a little bad, but I am attempting to mend my ways. The two first weeks have gone by fast, to my (happy) surprise I like all my classes. And aside from the fact that I must work with metal, all goes well.  There are projects that have or will be done over the semester, such as painting in lingerie (yet to be accomplished),  culinary duels (later this week, this I hope to win since...well, I don't want to be a slave for a day), and getting the angry art major to smile (this one I accidentally accomplished last week, I had expected a harder challenge, but maybe root beer can't be resisted), and public art (origami, banner, I can't wait on this one).
    For the seconds before I began to write I felt the mean reds, I am glad that they left soon. Last week I met my Literature professor, who is simply a fantastic very much pirate looking man. He is quite a troll and believes so much of what I believe, no hell, religions separate instead of bringing people together, religions are different perspectives on the same thing. He aims to stir up people, and I hope he does, by the end of class many of my classmates wanted to find a different professor. Personally, I can't wait for class number two.
     I just finished a book about people and discipline, whether we innately need someone or something to  follow. The book reminded me of one of my favorite Gaarder metaphors, he wrote that the universe is a magnificent magical trick, a magician taking a rabbit out of a hat and that when people are born they are at the tip of the rabbit's fur, curious about the mystery and impregnated with question to figure it out; but the trick is so slow that as people grow older they began to crawl deep into the fur and never think about such matters. I feel empathy towards Gaarder, maybe  people are a little too comfortable with the pace at the moment. Maybe this is the reason why I like my Literature professor so much, because he is so passionate about stirring up people. If I think of it even in what some people consider to be the most important things they are being led, rather than encouraged to think for themselves. Religion for example, or a specific one, Christianity people are to be sheep and follow blindly and if we look through history whenever serious doubts have been raised there has always been a separation. Why is such a collective mind preferred? people should be able to decide what they want for themselves, but are they thinking about it or just following?. I think it was a matter like this that led me further and further away from religion. Sometimes it seems that my entire life I have been distancing myself from religion from a childhood in Catholicism, to a youth in Christianity, then again an attempt in Catholicism (the only result was a group of aghast adolescents mad over too many questions, a strange election, and more questions).
    Ah, the mean reds are back. Perhaps music will be the solution. The thing about them is that they disrupt everything and leave you feeling half emptied out, hollow and rather red, a cool shade of red. A bit like hunger, but deeper or more intangible. Sometimes it goes away fast, others not so much. Sometimes what I need is a friend, sometimes a book (those wonderful companions portable companions) helps too. But music has always been helpful to me.
     Here I am sharing the fruit of wonderful photography skills paired with literature. One of my best friends will be graduating soon (as will most of my friends and art majors, soon I shall simply be known as the last Art Major in the Universe [or University...] when people refer to me a name will no longer be needed, when there is only one a title suffices) and I am to be Lolita, I hope once I get socks this will be more successful.






3 comments: